Thursday, March 15, 2012

Integration

I just don't believe in work/life balance. I'm sick of hearing about it. I'm fundamentally opposed to balance in every shape and form. I believe that nothing succeeds like excess. And that balance and moderation should be avoided at all costs.

I work 7 days per week. I also play 7 days per week. Working 7 days per week makes my life easier, fun, and more enjoyable. It takes the pressure off the 5 day work week by giving me valuable stolen hours of the weekend to lighten the ever growing load. I get more done in a 3-hour session on a Sunday morning than in 3 days of a normal working week. And I still have plenty of time to do all the other stuff I want to do with friends, family and alone.

Working 7 days per week is all about attitude. It is an attitude that says I'm determined to live my best life every day. The work I do at weekends is always work I want to do. It's valuable, rewarding and uplifting.

If your job isn't like that - change it.

9 comments:

Leon Fernando Del Canto said...

I too oppose the Work/Life balance Myth. Why should we refrain to live Monday to Friday and avoid to work on Saturdays and Sundays? I can not agree more with Kevin's post. I may change "nothing succeeds like excess" to pacify the conservative among us, to " nothing succeeds like passion", although I appreciate and enjoy the provocative mention to "excess"

Anonymous said...

…which is fine in our industry, but not so great if you dig roads for a living.

Peter Morris said...

Pray that others do not adopt this plan, or your weekends will be as plastered with interruptions as the productivity destroying 'weekdays'

philmckinnon said...

If you are choosing what you are doing on the weekend work wise it can relieve stress because you have taken care of it. You also maintain momentum so come Sunday night or Monday morning you are not trying to kick start a flat battery, you are continuously in the swing. The weekend should be like a warm drink during a cycle race. It replenishes your body by doesn't stop your system like a cold one would.

Richard Cross said...

What was it Robert Heinlein once wrote? - everything to the excess; moderation is for monks!

Jason Womack said...

Kevin,

I will meet you there...

The most interesting people I meet, whether at a conference like #SXSW (that was last week) or while at a #CoffeeChat event here in Detroit (tomorrow morning), are the ones who are willing to turn it on...on call. I just don't know anyone who leaves their work, goes home and doesn't think/talk/wonder about what they do "for a living."

Likewise, I haven't met anyone who goes to work, and turns "off" their personal/life responsibilities. Thanks for drawing our attention to this all-important concept.

robin said...

beauty!

Niv said...

Very well said. Though I see it a little differently. When you work with all your heart, everything in life naturally seems at balance.

Anonymous said...

This is all good and well and perfectly logical. Balance is hard, think of balancing on a tight rope, if you loose your balance you fall really hard, so no point in that.

I am still trying to figure out how to factor my kids into the integration. This is not easy.